Preparing for VROPS Installation Requirements
- All Nodes must use static IP address, or fully qualified domain name (FQDN) with a static IP address.
- You can successfully reverse-DNS all nodes, including remote collectors, to their FQDN, currently the node hostname.
- All nodes, including remote collectors, must be bidirectionally routable by IP address or FQDN.
- Do not separate analytics cluster nodes with network address translation (NAT), load balancer, firewall, or a proxy that inhibits bidirectional communication by IP address or FQDN.
- One-way latency between the analytics cluster nodes must be 5 ms or lower.
- Do not distribute analytics cluster nodes over a wide area network (WAN).
- Download the Latest VROPS 7.5 OVA from your Vmware Web Platform.
- Valid VROPS or Cloud License for Version 7.5 – remember , old License from 6.6 and below will not work.
Part1: Deploying vRealize Operations (VROPS) 7.5 Appliance
Login to vCenter – Right click Cluster or Host – Deploy OVA template – provide Name for appliance and select the OVA file downloaded.
Provide the Location of the OVA Deployment File.
Provide the Name for VM to display and select VM folder.
Select the host Compute and Next.
Review and Next.
Accept the EULA and Next.
you will need to Select Size of the VROPS Master Node, i have choosen the Small Configuration that can serve until 3500 VM.
vRealize Operations Manager 7.5 Sizing Guidelines
to be able to review the right size for your VROPS i will advise to review this vmware doc : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67752
Select Storage Disk provision as Thin to save disk space or Thick to get better Storage Performance and Next.
Select the Network VLAN port group for vROPS appliance Network and Click Next.
Provide below information and click Next :
Domain Name: mt.local
Domain Search Path: mt.local
DNS: 192168.1.100,192.168.1.101 (DNS servers with comma)
Network 1 IP: 192.168.1.113
Network Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Review and finish to deploy the appliance.
Watch the Recent Tasks to Monitor your ova Deployment.
Power on your new VROPS Virtual machine.
The first time the VROPS Boot he run the install.sh that Configure the System, this step can take 10-15 min.
The console of vROPS appliance will look like this, as you notices it has automatically detected the DNS record from DNS server as shown below.
Part2: vROPS 7.5 Cluster configuration
Open vROPS using https://vrops01.mt.local/admin or https://192.168.1.113/admin as shown below. vrops01.mt.local is my first and master node.
- Express Installation
- New installation
- Expand Installation
Click New installation.
Provide the appliance admin account password for ui access.
Use default certificates or if you like to have certificate from external CA go ahead and install. will advise to use VRLCM to generate and install the VROPS Certification.
We are using default certificates – Next.
Provide the appliance or Master node Name as in DNS record
Enter the NTP address 220.127.116.11 – click ADD
Then click Next.
if you wish to enable VROPS HA , i dont recommend enable HA During the First Deployment of VROPS.
Now Cluster will start creating on this master node. wait for 10-15 mins to complete.
Once done – Click on Start vRealize Operations Manager to start cluster.
Click Yes to Confirm First Application Startup.
It takes a while and shows the cluster state as Online as shown below.
Part3: vROPS 7.5 Initial Setup and Vcenter Adapter Configuration
After the Cluster is created we need to do the initial configuration for vROPS.
Close the admin view and open https://vrops01.mt.local or https://192.168.1.113 of master node, this will take to user UI – click Next.
Accept and click Next.
Please Provided your vRealize License, Validate the License Key and click Next.
review and click Next.
click Finish to complete the VROPS Configuration.
Configure the Vcenter Adapter – Please press the button shown on to start the Vsphere Adapter Configuration.
Please provide this info to be able to test and save the Vcenter Adapter Configuration.
- Display Name – the name of the Vcenter Adapter.
- Vcenter Server – the IP/DNS on the Vcenter Server.
- Credential – Please see below the info.
- Enable Actions – if you wish to run python Scripts on the vcenter Server.
you will need to provide Credentials for accessing the Vcenter Adapter, the easy path will be to supply the email@example.com but if you wish to configure a more restrict account for the VROPS please follow this page on configure the right permission for this AD Account.
if you wish to change Advanced Setting you are able to test the configuration first , the Default change will be Configure the Adapter with a RC or enable/disable any Discovery you wish to include with the Solution.
The best will be to try Testing the Setting before Saving Configuration with the Test Connection button.
Please Accept the Certification.
you will see Test Connection Successful message when it finish.
Save the Setting of the vcenter Adapter.
As you can see the first Vcenter Adapter is running and collecting Data.